Before beginning a new skincare routine or buying any new products, you should first be aware of the type of skin you have. Does it tend to be oily? Dry? Sometimes both? Do you have dark spots, breakouts? This will help you understand which types of treatments will be most effective for you. The good news is, Korean beauty products are hyper-targeted to treat just about every specific skin condition there is.
You will also want to pay attention to how your skin is affected by changes in climate, diet, schedules, etc., as this will help alert you to any particular changes you may need to make in your skincare routine. Don’t be afraid to switch out products if you need to, your skin will thank you for it, and it will definitely show!
Now onto the fun part—our shortcut to creating your own customized Korean beauty skincare routine.
YOUR BEST FACE FORWARD (a.m. ROUTINE)
When it comes to facing the new day, we say, approach it with the most beautiful, fresh-looking skin possible. Here are 5 essential steps to get you there. Remember for each step below, you will be able to find products that treat your specific skin type.
• Cleanse – An important first step, it removes oil residue and dead skin cells that accumulate overnight. SHOP CLEANSERS
• Tone – This removes any leftover residue and restores your skin's pH balance, leaving skin soothed and prepped to absorb the next skincare treatments and their beneficial properties. SHOP TONERS
• Treat – This step allows you to hyper-target specific skin issues using essences and serums. Specific essences and serums exist for each specific skin issue, so it’s the perfect way to customize your routine to address your particular skincare needs. SHOP TREATMENTS
• Moisturize -- This will add another layer of moisture to your skin, locking in all the beneficial treatments you just applied. Use an emulsion during the day, which is light and similar to lotion. SHOP MOISTURIZERS
• Protect -- Sun protection is a crucial step in Korean skincare. Apply sun protection over your face and neck before your makeup routine, even on overcast days. SHOP SPF
RESTORATION & REJUVINATION (p.m. ROUTINE)
Your 5 nighttime steps for renewed, well-rested skin.
• Cleanse – During the evening, double cleanse, first by using an oil-based cleanser to gently remove oil-based impurities like makeup and sebum. Follow it up with a water-based cleanser to remove any remaining residue, like sweat and dirt. SHOP CLEANSERS
• Exfoliate (2-3 times a week) – Essential for removing the barrier of dead skin cells that clog the skin and uncovering fresh new cells below, this step opens the way for moisturizing products to penetrate more deeply into the skin. SHOP EXFOLIATORS
• Tone – Just like in the morning routine, this step preps skin to absorb the next skincare treatments to their fullest potential. SHOP TONERS
• Treat – Like the morning, use specific essences and serums to treat specific issues. 1-2 times a week, also apply a sheet mask, a wonderfully concentrated ‘soaked-in’ treatment of essences and serums. Apply these single-use masks for 15-20 minutes for maximum benefits.SHOP TREATMENTS and MASKS
• Moisturize – Eye cream: Gently apply eye cream to keep fine lines, puffiness and wrinkles at bay. Always tap or dab lightly; never rub.
Moisturizer: Use a moisturizing cream (thicker than the emulsion used in the morning) to keep skin hydrated through the night. SHOP MOISTURIZERS
Sleep Pack: 2-3 times a week, use a sleep pack in place of your normal moisturizer. The no-rinse packs keep skin super-charged and deeply hydrated while you sleep. SHOP SLEEP PACKS